Sunday, January 17, 2010

The .22 caliber rifle that changed a boy's life

The pen might be mightier, but the .22 caliber rifle is deadly. An 8-year-old killed his father and the man who was renting a room in their house. I wrote a rather concise story for elmundo.es/america, and it actually made it to the cover of elmundo.es. That's a first for me; I guess blood sells. The boy had learned to shoot from his dad, practicing on prairie dogs. He was sentenced this week, two years later, to enter a private rehabilitation program. I'm not against guns, like I'm not against cars; they're both dangerous weapons. But if you're going to have them, by all means, keep them in a safe -and keep the keys out of the reach of children-, for your own good, and of others, including children.

No comments:

Post a Comment